Sunday, September 23, 2007

Another reason to miss Freddie Mercury terribly...

He was a crazy cat lover! And I do mean crazy!

This is from the latest issue of Blender (with Kanye West on the cover):

"According to a 2003 article in Cat Fancy magazine, Mercury adopted lots of cats throughout his life, at one point owning as many as 10. He dedicated his first solo album, 'Mr. Bad Guy,' to four of them, as well as to 'all of the cat lovers across the universe -- screw everyone else.' In one of Queen's videos he wore a vest adorned with portraits of several of his cats, painted by Mercury himself. Sometimes while on tour, he'd even call home to chat with his cats, often at exorbitant international rates.

We know a few of the cats' names: Oscar, Tiffany, Goliath, Miko, Romeo, Lily, Tom, Jerry. But his favorite by far was Delilah, a chubby, tri-colored tabby. Mercury dedicated a song on Queen's 'Innuendo' to the plump puss ('I love you, Delilah/Oh, you make me so very happy/You give me kisses and I go out of my mind/Meow, meow, meow, meow'), and she stayed with him literally until the end, curled up beside Mercury when he died of complications from AIDS in 1991."

I love the bubble from the cat's mouth:
Mercury-kitty

No comments: